Ron was first introduced to the joys of singing as a boy by his mother, who was a semi professional singer. Later on along the path, he was introduced to West African drumming by the late and great Babatunde Olatunji. In 1988, Ron took cellist David Darling's Music For Everyone Workshop at The Omega Institute. That profound experience opened Ron up to a new world of musical freedom with endless possibility's of self expression. From the seeds of that inspiration, Ron became a certified facilitator for Music For People, which is an international non-profit organization that promotes self-expression through music improvisation.
Ron has created a community center of sorts in his residential suburban home in Wyndmoor, PA. where he facilitates weekly gatherings, hosts African Drum Classes with long time friend and colleague, Quint Lange. At least 5 times a year his 18 year old house concert series Underground at Ron's, will be presented.
This is some of what Ron has been doing for the past 33 years:
- Playing percussion for the Group Motion Dance Workshop,
- Resident musician for Playback For Change,
- Percussion facilitator for the Native Flute School "Flute Haven",
- Co-facilitator with Lynn Miller for the MFP Improvisation Music Camp,
- Host to the Mt.Airy outdoor Community Drum Circle,
- Recording music including "Hang Meditations", with Pete Barnhart, and Frances Miller Crowhill Sauder's "Water Song", with David Darling.
- Playing and Distributing the highest quality Shruti Boxes on the planet, and Rhythm Rings
Fun Fact: Ron introduced the Swiss made PANArt Hang to the US market place, while he was their sole US representative between 2002 - 07.